Friday, March 12, 2010

Show and Tell

Patricia keeps showing this "Show dont tell" aspect in her writing. Is that what she truly wants her readers to do when they write? Or does she want you to "Show" as well as other things? Do you believe this holds true for essays in school? Or would it detract from your credibility as it would appear you are writing a novel and not an essay? Patricia also goes on to say that writing a picture or physical object is an effective way of description. Pick an object in your room and describe it, "write it."

Patricia respects bot the aspect of show and tell. She comments on how writers spend too much time with description instead of just getting with the story. Sometimes there are these huge chunk paragraphs to just describe a small object or a room. She comments on how writing shouldn't all be biographies but that we as writers need to get to the point and explain theme, and character development instead of what someone's car looks like.

Essays in school don't do any show. Most essays, especially the ones read in class focus on only telling us what they think and then sub plots. Then again, maybe description doesn't belong in essays. Sometimes I feel like when I'm reading and essay that I just want the writer to get to the point so I can form a quick opinion. Sources are more important than description in a paper.

The crumpled white bag of faded hope just stares at me. It talks to me. "Look what I'm full of... stuff that you were too lazy to do, I'm crumpled because you never picked me up." I loathe this bag, and only because the stupid bag is right, I can't bring myself to it. I can't just look at its stupid M and think, I want it gone. Your sandwiches suck anyways Macdonald's.

No comments:

Post a Comment